The American Board of Medical Specialties is seeking an Operations Director of Certification Standards & Programs.
The American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) serves the public and the medical profession by improving the quality of health care through setting professional and educational standards for medical specialty practice and certification in partnership with its certifying Member Boards. These elevate the standards for patient care and care improvements.
Reporting to the Senior Vice President, Certification Standards & Programs (CSP), the Operations Director works with two standing committees: the Committee on Certification (COCERT) and the Continuing Certification Committee (3C); two task forces: Standards, and Remediation; and several working groups. The Operations Director will also coordinate with other departments within ABMS and their task forces: Governance, and Information Technology. Additionally, CSP is the main contact with several associate members (ACGME, ACCME, AAMC).
It is critical for this position to ensure that work streams are aligned and moving at the right pace so that the information from one group is ready to feed to the other group; high-level project coordination is a key component of this role.
- Establishes and implements operational policies and procedures necessary for Certification Standards & Programs to maintain efficient operations and communication, and to ensure completion of all projects and regular functions on a timely basis
- Assesses program priorities to allocate resources in accordance with goals and the ABMS strategic plan
- Ensures implementation of strategic initiatives, tactics, and goals of the strategic plan
- Communicates effectively across the different groups in CSP
- Works with the CSP staff on the management of board committees, working groups, task forces, and other related groups to ensure efficient operations and effective processes
- Serves as a project manager in CSP. Develops project plans that include defining the project scope, goals, and deliverables, assembling and coordinating staff resources, tracking and managing deliverables, and providing quality oversight
- Serves as a liaison for CSP to other areas of ABMS to ensure effective communication and collaboration
- Manages the budgets, forecasting, and other financial requirements within CSP in coordination with the ABMS Finance office
- Assists with development of business plans and budgets for new initiatives in CSP
- Maintains CSP policies and procedures, ensuring alignment with Governance department
- Organizes and manages the agenda of departmental meetings
- Oversees the quarterly CSP data collection from the Member Boards, maintains the database, and analyzes data to produce actionable information for CSP team and ABMS
- Serves as a liaison to a select number of Member Boards
- Meets regularly with the Senior Vice President, Certification Standards & Programs to provide updates on all ongoing activities; facilitates communication and required feedback while away from ABMS for business purposes
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree with preferred major in finance, business, management, international affairs, or education. Advanced degree desirable
- At least seven years of experience in management or administrative position
- Project and team management experience
- Strong professional communications skills, both written and verbal, with ability to interact effectively with all levels of staff and constituents within and outside of the organization
- Advanced computer skills with Microsoft Office Suite; experience with MS Teams is desirable
- Business acumen and leadership
- Understanding of the not-for-profit sector or association management environment is desirable
The Operations Director position is based in Chicago.
Closing Date: Friday, April 17, 2020 or until the position is filled.
How to Apply
In addition to sending your resume and salary expectations, you must include a cover letter outlining your experience and the strategic value that you will bring to ABMS.
Send your resume and cover letter to Dan Hoppe – Director, Human Resources, at email@example.com. Please include “Ref: Ops_DirCSP” in the subject of your email.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties, or responsibilities. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or be added at any time with or without notice.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, color, religion, sex, gender identity, and sexual orientation, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or genetic information.