American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) serves the public and the medical profession by improving the quality of health care through setting professional and educational standards for medical specialty practice and certification in partnership with its certifying Member Boards. These elevate the standards for patient care and care improvements. As the Human Resources Director, you will partner with the leadership team to drive innovation and culture, consult on business issues, identify trends and develop programs to engage employees and manage and perform a wide range of HR duties including performance and development, compensation, benefits, compliance, employee relations, and recruiting/retention. The Director also ensures a diverse workforce and fosters an employee-oriented culture that emphasizes accountability, empowerment and inclusion. This position reports into Chief Operating Officer and supervises one staff member. This is a role for an HR professional who has proven expertise in a wide array of HR functions but is energized ensuring that the HR function is contributing to the success of the organization as a business partner.
- Serves as a key resource and strategic business partner to executive management on matters relating to cultural transformation, strategic decision making, organizational structure, leadership development, and Human Resource practices, structures and programs.
- Designs, directs, and manages a company-wide process of organization planning and development that evaluates company structure, job design, compensation strategies, and employee forecasting and addresses issues such as succession planning, diversity and retention.
- Directs and oversees benefits administration of the organization’s enrollment for employee health, welfare and benefit programs and policies including health and dental insurance, life insurance plans, retirement, flexible spending accounts, short-term and long-term disability insurance, vacation and sick leave policies, wellness initiatives, employee assistance program, transit, and any other employee benefits programs.
- Administers organization-wide programs to include: employee opinion surveys, total rewards, leader and employee development, employee and labor relations within areas of responsibility.
- Champions programs and activities to improve organizational effectiveness through effective performance management programs and building skills and capabilities.
- Implements and supports Human Resources programs and policies to ensure that the organization is compliant with all relevant employment laws and regulations.
- Creates a streamlined Human Resource function that promotes sharing of resources, information and best practices within the organization and the larger member board community through the HRNet network.
- Partners with CFO and AVP of Organizational Operations on payroll, benefit and cultural initiatives.
- Provides HR operational services to affiliated member boards including compensation and benefit administration, recruiting and support on ad hoc human resources requests.
- Provides direction, mentoring and HR-supervision of .5FTE Human Resource Specialist.
Skills and Attributes
- Advanced interpersonal skills are necessary in order to effectively represent ABMS to outside agencies, often in highly sensitive situations, and to discuss and resolve complex employee relations problems.
- Demonstrated ability to serve as a successful partner to all levels of management including senior leadership to advance employee and culture goals of the organization.
- Deft organizational skills in managing all HR elements spanning day-to-day operations to strategic planning/implementation.
- Advanced analytical skills necessary in order to develop and implement updated human resources systems, techniques, and/or procedures; determine personnel needs; develop and administer department expense and revenue budgets; and prepare complex special and recurring reports and analyses.
- Knowledge of current employee relations laws, practices, and technology solutions.
- Experience in negotiation and administration of employment benefits/compensation programs and other HR programs.
- Evidence of serving as trusted HR professional operating with the highest level of confidentiality and integrity.
Education, Training and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or Human Resources Administration. Master’s degree is preferred. SPHR or SHRM SCP is a plus.
- At least 8-10 years of progressive leadership experience in HR positions. Active affiliation with appropriate HR networks and organizations and ongoing community involvement desired.
- Experience in a nonprofit or healthcare environment preferred.
- Experience in a small or mid-size organization is ideal.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, color, religion, sex, gender identity, and sexual orientation, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status or genetic information.
How to Apply
You may send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the job title in the subject of your email.
You may also submit your resume and cover letter by postal mail to:
American Board of Medical Specialties
Attn: Human Resources
353 North Clark Street
Chicago, IL 60654