The American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) is seeking a Director, Certification Standards and Programs.
The ABMS serves the public and the medical profession by improving the quality of health care through setting professional and educational standards for medical specialty practice and certification in partnership with its certifying Member Boards. These elevate the standards for patient care and care improvements.
The Director is responsible for providing leadership and project management direction for Certification Standards and Programs (CSP) committees, working groups, and task forces of the Board of Directors. The individual will elevate topics that need to be addressed across departments and committees at ABMS and oversee the review of certification programs. The primary objective of this role is to lead the daily operations of CSP to ensure that activities are aligned with the strategic goals and priorities of ABMS. As part of the CSP team, the individual will also provide input to other CSP activities such as educational resources, data collection, research, and quality improvement.
- Lead the development and implementation of programs and processes for the review of certification programs of the ABMS Member Boards.
- Oversee development and maintenance of overall relevant project management/business plans. Manage committee and assigned project budgets/resources and program deliverables.
- Manage key messaging, communication and information exchange related to the certification review processes and services offered by the ABMS to the Member Boards Community.
- Working with the CSP leadership and team, oversee all certification-related committees and other certification-related ad hoc or permanent groups, as needed. Develop committee and other reports for Governance groups as needed.
- Oversee the design, implementation, and analysis of review program evaluations.
- Direct the evaluation and assessment strategy and/or consultation services supporting the Member Boards in their certification programs.
- Oversee the development of programs that establish a learning community among ABMS Member Boards in which Member Boards share ideas and best practices and learn from each other and from ABMS.
- Support ABMS Member Boards in shared services and programs.
- Manage assigned staff supporting committees, working groups, and task forces.
- Collaborate with the Operations Director on departmental budget management, Member Board data management projects, and projects that require coordination with other departments and Governance groups, including moving forward committee and task force deliverables to the Governance team.
- As part of the CSP team, provide substantial input regarding the development and implementation of educational resources and services consistent with best practices in continuing professional development, assessment, program evaluation and quality improvement.
- Represent the ABMS at local, regional, and national meetings, and workshops when appropriate.
- Serve as a liaison to a select number of Member Boards.
- Build and maintain relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
Education and Experience
- Master’s degree or a combination of depth of experience and education required – with a preference given to educational and experiential focus in Medical Education, External Assessment, Program Evaluation, Health Administration/Management, or Public Policy.
- Minimum of five years of experience in health professions education, medical research, medical associations, patient safety and/or quality improvement.
- Experience in program design, management, and evaluation required.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and manage large, complex, geographically distributed projects required.
- Experience involving committee support and governance required.
- Demonstrated maturity in working with external groups, physicians, physician volunteers, and/or medical executives is highly valued.
- Experience working in accreditation, certification, or assessment is highly recommended.
- Experience with organizational quality improvement and data is highly desirable.
Skills and Attributes
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a dynamic, complex environment either in office or work from home with minimal management interaction and supervision.
- Skilled, experienced, and comfortable in dealing with ambiguity, problem solving and priority setting.
- Strong analytical skills, especially applying data to decision making; must be able to set, execute and follow through on deadlines and timetables.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; must be able to transmit complex business concepts to internal and external stakeholders.
- Highly committed to producing accurate, quality work in a timely manner with a strong attention to details.
- Exceptional proficiency with MS Office Products.
The Director, Certification Standards and Programs position is based in Chicago.
Closing Date: Friday, September 11, 2020 or until the position is filled.
How to Apply
In addition to sending your resume and salary expectations, you must include a cover letter outlining your experience and the strategic value that you will bring to ABMS.
Send your resume and cover letter to Dan Hoppe – Director, Human Resources, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Ref: ABMS_DIR_CSP” in the subject of your email.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties, or responsibilities. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or be added at any time with or without notice.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or genetic information.